At The Little Goat Outpost, Goat Hiking is our favorite activity!
We began leading Goat Hikes in October 2019 at our original “urban homestead” in Spokane, WA (check out what our past guests have had to say about Goat Hiking with us on our “Features + Reviews” page!). Now, we are so thrilled to live just a 5-minute walk from the Carson National Forest off of Forest Rd 222 in Tres Piedras, New Mexico. This is ideal for easy access to epic goat hiking (or snowshoeing!) anytime, any day!
We offer the following signature Goat Hikes to travelers and locals alike:
- Carson National Forest Goat Hikes — our most popular, accessible, and frequently booked Goat Hike! This hour-long experience is available at a cost of $30 per person (children under 2 yo hike free; for groups of 5+ individuals, the cost is $25/person). On this hike, we will meet where the Carson National Forest land begins off of Forest Road 222 in Tres Piedras. From there, we will hike through wooded high desert terrain on established trails that are suitable for all levels of hiker (young children and grandparents welcome!). Elevation begins at just over 8,100′, and beautiful views of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range are visible from clearings along the way. We are happy to snap a photo of you holding a goat in front of a mountain to remember the experience!
- Tres Piedras Crags Goat Hikes — for the more adventurous and experienced hiker, our Tres Piedras Crags hikes cater to the outdoor enthusiast. The Tres Piedras Crags are a destination for climbing, bouldering, and scrambling in the outdoor community. What better way to explore this incredible natural area, just a 5-minute drive from our Little Goat Outpost HQ, than in the company of expert scramblers: goats! The hour-long boulder hikes at the Tres Piedras Crags are available at rate of $40 per person (for groups of 5+ individuals, the cost is $35/person). We will loop the crags, climbing and scrambling at the level you are comfortable with. Incredible views of the surrounding mountain ranges and desert abound!
- Goat Snowshoeing — think the exact same itinerary as our Carson National Forest hike, but on snowshoes! John Waters and David Lynch the goats will rock your world bounding along with their floofy booties through the majestic drifts of Tres Piedras snow! This hour-long hike is $30 per person (for groups of 5+ individuals, the cost is $25/person), and you must BYO snowshoes. Rent some in town if you don’t own your own!
During your time on the Goat Hike, your host (me!) will be happy to share insights from our adventure of living with goats at The Little Goat Outpost! We also love to learn about our guests’ unique life experiences and paths. Above all, the Goat Hike is designed for (safe, distant) connection with the animals and with each other.
To book one of our Goat Hikes, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Which Goat Hike you would like to book;
- The total number of people who will be participating (*if you would like your own dog(s) to join us for the hike, please see our pet policy below);
- Your availability for the hike.
We will reply as promptly as possible, and will send a confirmation email with details on how to make payment, meeting-place directions, recommendations on attire, and what to bring with you for a comfortable and fun Goat Hike. Ask any questions you may have in advance, please; we are happy to answer!
Goat Hiking Alternatives / Add-ons / + Special Offers
If you would like to book a Goat Hike as a gift, please visit our “Goat Hiking Gift Certificates” page for more information and instructions on how to purchase!
If you are booking a Goat Hike for your Birthday, The Little Goat House would like to treat you to a Complimentary Birthday Hike. During your birthday week, you hike for free when you bring a group of 4 or more friends along to celebrate!
We are also excited to offer a Professional Photography Add-on for your Goat Hike. If you would like to schedule professional photography, reservations must be made in advance due to limited availability. Please shoot us an inquiry for pricing and more information.
PLEASE NOTE: For ALL Goat Hiking guests, ability to follow instructions in animal interactions, to hike safely, to respect your hiking leader, and moderate physical fitness are required for participation. If you have limited mobility issues or physical fitness concerns, we are happy to talk with you to see if the Goat Hiking experience could be accessible for you.
*DOGS — who are well-behaved, obey owner’s commands, and are known to be non-aggressive with other dogs and livestock are happily invited to accompany us on our Goat Hikes! We request that you let us know in advance if you plan to bring your pup along for the hike. Dogs MUST be kept on a standard 6′ leash AT ALL TIMES, unless indicated by the hike leader. Failure to observe these guidelines will result in immediate termination of the Goat Hike without refund, as unleashed or aggressive dogs can pose a mortal threat to our beloved goat companions. Your cooperation and understanding is appreciated!